Monday, July 2, 2007

Phobia

I always know when a phobia is about to develop. A cold wave laps against my skeletal frame. I've had quite a few phobias, so I'm never surprised when a new one comes along. Some are fleeting, while others are more permanent. The fear of tse-tse flies was fleeting. The fear of looking up at tall buildings is one that still lingers. There is usually little basis for phobias. Sometimes I develop a phobia after reading a three word headline. Most phobias are retroactive. A few years ago I developed a fear of soy milk. Since I had been raised on soy milk formula, the anxiety attack was worse than usual.

It helps when someone is around to let me know that I'm acting like an idiot. Recently, I was eating at a restaurant with a friend. He asked me why I didn't want to try the gelato. With a pureed voice and a strained face, I told him that I had no good reason for not trying the dessert. And I didn't. No research soundbites popped into my head. My friend told me to eat the gelato and enjoy it. I had always liked performing gelatio, so I decided to eat two spoonfuls. It's good to have someone to call you on your phobias. Otherwise they tend to pile up.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Right now I have a fear about ticks. It makes sense, though. They carry disease. They can be so small you think it's just a new mole. And unfortunately, they can be on your scalp and it would hard to know.

Last summer, about this time, I tried to camp out at a nearby lake. It was too hot. We went home in the middle of the night and I had two tiny ticks.

After that it was Lyme disease this, Lyme disease that.

BC said...

I'm surprised there aren't more people living in plastic bubbles. Ticks are disgusting.