Sunday, August 5, 2007

You're from Akron?

My friend BA and I went to a comedy club a few nights ago. The first comedienne told tales of pathos. She once dated her cello. It later dumped her. She convinced her female cat to get a sex change, so they could become closer. The cat died during the process. She changed the lyrics of "It's Not Easy Being Green" to "It's Not Easy Being Blue". Finally, in an attempt to extend this pathos, she mentioned that she was from Akron. At that point I felt even more sorry for her. Growing up in Akron must have been hard.

After her act I began to think about my hometown. I grew up in a small town in rural Wisconsin. Was it more difficult to grow up in Akron than in my hometown?

Akron has over 1 million people. My hometown has a population of less than 5,000. That's not enough people to qualify for an AA chapter or AAA service.

My hometown has produced one celebrity, Frank Lloyd Wright. He moved to a place twenty miles down the road because he disliked the town so much. Akron has produced a bevy of celebrities, including Hugh Downs, Chrissie Hynde, and LeBron James. If those three would have grown up in my hometown, then the major highway that runs through it would have three names.

My hometown had a single bowling alley when I was growing up. Now it doesn't have one. The bowling alley and all of its ten lanes went up in flames last spring. Akron (and surrounding area) has fourteen bowling alleys. What an embarrassment of riches.

My hometown had twenty four churches for less than 5,000 people. There is no doubt in my mind that many of our church leaders would have looked down upon women who run with cellos.

Akron, if only.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems you're the one telling the tale of pathos now. Guess you were too quick to judge Akron. The towns that I have lived in have included Jerry Seinfeld, Dick van Patten, MLB catcher Dan Wilson and probably others I cannot remember or do not know.

BC said...

I would trade Hugh Downs and Chrissie Hynde for van Patten and cash.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.