Sunday, August 19, 2007

My hometown is underwater

My hometown is underwater tonight. It's the part I used to play baseball, where friends used to watch each other play Defender, and where an old guy used to sell bait. I wrote a screenplay a few years ago. In it the people of my hometown vote to flood the tiny hamlet and turn it into an underwater tourist attraction. Freud would say that I wanted to commit boonicide (sp).

Here's a brief description of my hometown before the real and the imagined floods. The fraying is occuring in the middle of town not at its edges. Driveways and streets fit seamlessly together at the edges of town. In the center of town homes have loose shingles and signs have missing letters.

I don't know if I would have voted to flood the town. I root for the people who sell bait on the side and wrestle with shingles, but I also like the idea of seeing scuba divers trying to fish out quarters from the coin slot of the old Defender game.

3 comments:

hans q. bungle said...

last time i was in your hometown i had no driver's license but you almost let me take the wheel. looking back, it was the right move.

Anonymous said...

after the last few weeks here, most of the chicago area is under water as well.

BC said...

I hope that was your choice. I knew almost everyone on the police force at the time, so I think we would have been ok.

Underwater Chicago would be a big tourist attraction. My hometown couldn't compete.