Thursday, April 26, 2007

Competing with Rockefeller

When I'm at my desk at home I can look out the window and see the Rockefeller Research Laboratory on 67th. For the past seven months I have been working at home, until the wee hours, on two projects. No matter how late I work there are always lights on in the Rockefeller Lab. Some nights it feels like I'm collaborating with the scientists on a project that will save lives. Other nights I feel like I'm competing with the scientists for a Nobel prize. When I'm waiting at the bus stop I see the scientists with their shiny white coats walk purposefully into the building. Last night, around midnight, I saw a building cleaner peer out one of the windows. I'm starting to think that the scientists have not been working late hours. They haven't been competing or collaborating. For the past seven months I've been collaborating and competing with people that clean the building. This means that I might have to start working on the project at home during the day and cleaning my apartment at night. I love to compete.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I secretly compete with everyone. It's a curse. I compete to beat the other editors here to work. When I arrive in the parking lot and their cars are already here I secretly curse them and vow to wake up at 6 am just to beat them. For once.

When someone tells me they've already heard a band, I want to tell them that I knew the band when the band was just a notion in the band's collective imagination.

This drive to compete will kill me in the end.

BC said...

When I walk I like to see if I can catch up to people that are ahead of me and pass them. Maybe it's good that I don't have a car.