Sunday, January 27, 2008

Delirious

My assistant is compiling a list. I'm standing behind her when she asks me what song is running through my head. The song is "Delirious Love" by Neil Diamond and I'm surprised that she knows that my mind is elsewhere. I'm unenthused about the work but was I humming? Were my finger trips drumming?
Should I tell her that I'm thinking of a Diamond song? Shouldn't I name someone more of the moment, like Modest Mouse or Arcade Fire?
I tell her it's a Diamond song, because I'm convinced that my lies are obvious, like the elephant in the room that's wearing no clothes. I wait for her to ask me why I'm thinking about that particular song but she doesn't ask. That's fine because I don't have answer.
If she had been listening to my thoughts that morning she would have thought that the Diamond song was over an hour in length instead of a three minute pop song on repeat.

No comments: