Thursday, February 21, 2008

The world makes me nervous

I'm afraid that time is circular. I recently bought a collection of NYT crossword puzzles from the early 2000s. I'm disappointed with the purchase because I'm now doing crosswords that I've done before and struggling with them like I did the first time around.

But the non-linear world makes me nervous. What if I pick up my laundry then go straight to the gym instead of dropping it off at home? How am I going to explain my bag full of clean laundry to the people at the gym? Will they accuse me of stealing towels from the gym? Will they ask to borrow a pair of socks? Or what if I go in reverse through time and end up in college again? I don't want to have baked beans with every meal again.

Where is my trajectory? Where are the days when I would stare at expiration dates on food products and imagine the great things I would be doing on that approaching day?

(My milk expired today, so I'm in a contemplative mood.)

No comments: