Monday, June 4, 2007

Fork

I lost my fork. It was my last fork.
I arrived in NYC with a "set" of at least four or five forks. (I place quotes around "set" because none of them matched, all were strays that had been left by others or forked over by mom.) Two of the forks disappeared in October when I was getting takeout everyday. Dinners were eaten, tv was watched, and forks were accidentally thrown away. I w(sh)(c)ould have gone with plastic forks, but I sometimes have environmental protection anxiety (epa). By February I was down to one fork. At that point, I became determined to hold on to that fork. Everything was fine until last week. There must have been a distraction. Was it a car horn? Did the phone ring? Was I distracted by a pigeon doing the "hot plate" dance? Did a Modest Mouse song make me smile? I don't know, because I don't remember when it happened. Now I have no fork. Most items have become finger food. I sometimes use a spoon. As of now, I have plenty of spoons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the opposite problem. I have about 30 forks (all of which my Mom gave to me many years ago). This is a problem because there are only two people in my house and so rather than washing one fork after using it, I take the fork, throw it in the dirty pile and get a new fork. At some point I run out of forks and I wash all the forks I have at once. This often means I have a pile of dirty forks on my counter for far too long. The temptation of just grabbing a new fork instead of washing the one I recently used is too much.

Would you like some of my forks? As revealed above I do not need 30 forks.

BC said...

You have an impressive collection of forks. I request two (clean) forks. One will be a backup.

hans q. bungle said...

you need like a little fork-leash thing that attaches to your wristwatch

Anonymous said...

Is there a cafeteria or other place nearby from which you can "borrow" a fork or two?